One of the best meals any Nigerian restaurant will always offer is Nigerian fried rice and Chicken.
Even a Nigerian party without Nigerian fried rice and chicken is not complete or not seen as a classic party.
So why not read this post to the end and learn everything about this delicious meal?
Average home in Nigeria do consume rice in a day, and according to Statista:The entire supply of rice in million metric tonnes of milled equivalent from 2000/2001 to 2021/2022 is depicted in this graph. Rice supply was around 700 million metric tonnes in 2020/2021.
So let’s start the journey of making our fried rice and chicken recipe with a delicious outcome.
Our job list
- 2 cups of rice
- green peas
- green beans
- canned corn
- fresh liver
- fried spices
- 500 gram of Chicken
- vegetable oil
Step 1 (Rinsing)
Rinse your chicken together with the liver. Put them in your pot and add some. chopped onions garlic and ginger.
Add two cubes of seasoning and salt to taste, then mix with your hand or a spatula.
Cover it and set it aside. Rinse all your veggies also.
Step 2 (Cutting of Veggies)
Cut your already rinsed veggies into smaller sizes.
Cutting them bigger might not help because of easy frying.
Cut the carrots and make them have a small square shape.
If you’re using fresh peas or canned, they do not need cutting, likewise your corn.
Step 3 (boiling and frying the chicken)
it’s time to boil your seasoned chicken.
Add about 1 litre of water to your chicken and boil it till it’s soft.
After a boil, strain the chicken from the water and set aside the stock.
Now fry the chicken, don’t make it too brown or fry for too long so it will retain its softness.
Boil and fry the liver together, then cut the liver into smaller pieces.
Step 4 (cooking of rice)
it’s time to cook your rice.
Set your pot on the heat with water to parboil the rice.
Once the water is boiling, wash your rice and add it to the pot. the boiling water, allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
After it has boiled for 10 minutes, strain the rice from the water and rinse the rice so it won’t turn sticky.
Put the pot on the heat again, add about 1.5 cups of water, and allow it to boil.
Add your parboiled rice to the water once it starts to boil. Allow the rice to cook and strain from the water then set aside.
- Set a new pot or frying pan on the heat, and put 50 grams of butter and 50 mils of vegetable oil into it.
- Add your chopped onions, garlic, and ginger.
- Allow them to fry for about 30 seconds, then add the cut veggies with the liver.
- Allow them to fry for about 6 minutes on low heat with continuous stirring, then add your canned corn and canned peas if you are using canned ones.
- After that, add your curry, thyme, spices, 2 cubes of seasoning, and salt to taste.
- Add your stock from the chicken and leave it to fry.
- Now add your rice and mix very well so that the source will mix with the rice and fry them together on medium heat.
- After frying them together, add a little water (two tablespoons of water) and allow them to steam together.
- Leave for about 2 minutes, and your friend’s rice is ready.
With all the aroma your meal is giving you, I know you want to start devouring it but wait, it’s not yet the Signature fried rice without the chicken.
Now over to your fried chicken.
- Add a little vegetable oil to a frying pan, add chopped onions let fry a bit and your blended pepper to it.
- Add a cube of seasoning and very little salt to taste. Allow cooking for like 3 minutes, then add your chicken and mix.
- For more details on this, check my post on how to make a stewed chicken.
After this, your Nigerian fried rice and chicken are ready to serve. You can now enjoy your meal.
Nigerian Signature Fried Rice and Chicken is one easy meal to make with easy steps and a delicious outcome.
You don’t need to go to a Nigerian party or even be in Nigeria before you enjoy this lovely meal.
All you need is to read and understand this post and you are good to go.
- Do not let your rice overcook. It will stick together and be difficult to mix. You will not like the outcome.
- Do not make your chicken fried; you won’t enjoy the softness.
- Make sure you cut your spices very small for easy frying.
- Do not add your cooked ingredients to the raw veggies; they will become too soft. Add them after you have fried the raw veggies.
FAQs Nigeria Fried Rice With Chicken
How to serve Fried Rice
You can enjoy your fried rice a chicken with juice, you can add salad to it, or any form of suitable condiment that taste great together.
You can also enjoy your meal with beef if you want. Any drink of your choice will make the meal more satisfying and the drink chilled.
You can read this also: How to make Stewed Chicken | Food Recipes
What gives fried rice its flavour?
The chicken stock, veggies, curry and thyme. All the other ingredients help in giving the fried rice its best flavor.
What are the main ingredients in fried rice?
carrots, green peas and beans, corn, curry, thyme and fried liver are the main ingredients in making Nigerian fried rice.
Do you season rice before or after cooking?
It’s not the rice that should be seasoned. Rather, it’s the ingredients that would be seasoned while mixing them.
What makes the fried rice yellow?
The curry and some fried rice spices are the sources of the yellow or greenish colour the fried rice usually has.
What is the secret to good fried rice?
The secret to a bowl of good fried rice is not making the rice stick together; adding enough ingredients; and enough curry and other spices.
Should I wash rice before frying it?
Yes, your rice should be washed before frying or cooking it because it reduces the starch content of the rice.
Leave a Reply